Baby wipes are convenient during a diaper change as they make it easier to clean fragile newborn skin. Harsh chemicals in certain baby wipes can leave a baby’s skin dry and prone to skin outbreaks. These should be avoided as much as possible.
There are a few baby wipe ingredients that should be avoided;
- Phthalates or artificial fragrance
- Tocopheryl Acetate
These are often found in regular disposable baby wipes and may have adverse effects on a baby. For instance, phthalates are known as endocrine disruptors . Phenoxyethanol, a preservative, is considered a carcinogen . Fortunately, there are safer alternatives. One of them is to use natural baby wipes on a baby’s sensitive skin.
All Natural Baby Wipes
Babies should never be exposed to toxic substances, but not many parents are aware that harmless-looking baby wipes may be riddled with unnecessary ingredients.
Parabens, phthalates and other chemicals are ingredients to avoid wiping on a little one’s sensitive skin.
Those that contain alcohol can be especially painful to babies with skin irritations. The long-term impact of these baby wipes should be considered. There is always the option of natural care sensitive wipes.
Which Natural Baby Wipes To Choose?
Cleaning a little one’s delicate skin with non-toxic baby wipes is always a good idea, but there are a plethora of all-natural baby wipes sold today. Below is a list of some of the best natural baby wipes to consider.
What to look for in organic baby wipes
Wipes made from 99.9% purified water and fruit extract are also gentle. When changing a diaper, parents can be sure that no harsh chemicals are entering their little ones’ skin. These types of wipes can be used for the entire body.
For babies with very sensitive skin, wipes that have been dermatologically tested and are fragrance-free, alcohol-free and paraben-free are recommended. Also, look for hypoallergenic on the label so that they do not cause any allergic reactions.
Wipes that use ingredients such as seed oil blends such as sunflower may provide antioxidant protection to help maintain healthy skin.
Consider cloth baby wipes that are designed to be reused similar to cloth diapers. They are typically made from organic cotton and bamboo which are both natural fibers.
MADE OF soothing organic baby wipes
MADE OF Soothing Organic Baby Wipes are full of healthful ingredients that are safe for a baby to absorb. MADE OF baby wipes contain twelve ingredients that are 70% organic and 30% natural. They are bacteria, fungi and bleach free. They contain zero GMO’s, soy or nuts. Learn more about these organic baby wipes.
The healthy amino acids, healing echinacea and skin conditioning oils fortify a baby’s skin with every wipe. This baby wipe is for parents who want to ensure their baby’s health but appreciate the time constraints of making their own DIY baby wipes.
Homemade Baby Wipes
Aside from the non-toxic baby products mentioned above, some parents make their own diaper wipes. Homemade wipes give parents more control over the ingredients. Here is a recipe to try.
- Heavy duty paper towels
- 1 ¾ cups of boiled water, cooled but should still be warm
- 1 tablespoon of pure witch hazel
- 10 drops of grapefruit seed extract
- Essential oils
- Old wipes container, plastic coffee container or plastic ice cream bucket
- 1 tablespoon of pure aloe vera
- 1 teaspoon liquid castile soap
- 1 teaspoon of olive oil or almond oil
- Bowl or quart size jar
Steps to make homemade baby wipes:
- Cut the paper towels in halves with a sharp knife.
- Accordion fold the wipes and place them in the container being used.
- Mix water, witch hazel, aloe, castile soap, oil and grapeseed extract in the bowl or a quart size jar. Stir.
- Add an essential oil such as lavender, then stir once more. (Note that only certain essential oils are recommended, must be properly diluted, and should not be used on babies who are younger than three months.)
- Pour the solution on the prepared paper towels, and let them absorb the solution for 5 to 10 minutes.
- Flip the container to ensure that all the wipes inside are soaked. Some experimentation may be required for the amount of liquid to use for these homemade wipes depending on the thickness of the paper towels.
- Use as you would ordinary baby wipes! For sensitive babies, skip the essential oil to avoid any chance of irritation .
Baby Wipes Product Packaging May Be Deceiving
Look beyond the cute packages of disposable wipes, and check for any ingredients that could be dangerous for a baby’s skin. Be vigilant in choosing a brand since many contain harsh chemicals that lead to dry and irritated skin in the diaper area and sometimes the entire body.
Natural wipes are fast becoming the recommended choice for parents who, aside from protecting their little ones, want to do their part in helping the environment. Baby wipes will be in a child’s life for a long time; do not take the chance of exposing your child to harsh ingredients.
Natural Baby Wipe Resources: US National Library of Medicine, National Institutes of Health; Toxic effects of the easily avoidable phthalates and parabens, Crinnion WJ, September 2010.
 Chemical News; Phenoxyethanol — toxicity, side effects, diseases and environmental impacts, Rita Winters, November 16, 2017.
 Medical News Today; Are essential oils safe for babies?, Amanda Barrell, Friday 20, 2018.