💌 See Why Organic Baby Products Are Always Safer
Free, exclusive access to 1000+ medically reviewed resource guides for download
Why Honey Isn’t Advised Under 12 Months Of Age
Doctors recommend waiting until your child is one year of age because honey may naturally contain spores of bacteria that can cause botulism .
This includes raw honey and foods cooked with honey. If a baby ingests these spores, the bacteria may germinate and produce a toxin.
That toxin can interrupt the interaction between the nerves and the muscles. Infant botulism is rare, but can highly occur in infants under 12 months.
JOIN OUR COMMUNITY
The fastest growing community of parents looking to connect
What About Products With Beeswax Balm In Them?
There are many products on the market that include beeswax as one of their ingredients. These include diaper cream that is used to treat diaper rash. The wax in this natural salve is soothing for easily irritated skin.
It’s a natural concern that parents might wonder if botulism spores can be transported through contact with pure beeswax or as a part of a product. In its cosmetic form, moms can rest assured that beeswax is safe for babies. .
Surprisingly, a breastfeeding mother may also eat honey as the spores of the botulinum toxin are too large to pass through her body .
We’re publishing a comprehensive eBook for everything parents need to know – from skin care to remedies!
Natural Skin Protectant
A baby’s skin is naturally sensitive. Products containing beeswax; that is counter products that contain beeswax
as an ingredient, may help protectant against all kinds of irritants because it acts as both a humectant and a protectant . Most important, it still allows your skin to breathe.
- Humectant: Humectants help to retain or preserve moisture. By “attracting” water molecules, you can help your baby’s skin stay soft and moist over time.
- Protective: Beeswax also serves as an excellent barrier between your baby’s sensitive skin and the environment. Unlike petroleum-based products, it won’t clog pores.
- Healing Properties: According to a 2005 study done by Dubai Specialized Medical Center in the
- The United Arab Emirates, beeswax is believed to have mild antibacterial, anti-inflammatory, and antiviral properties when combined with honey and olive oil. Common bacteria, such as Staphylococcus aureus and the fungus, Candida albicans .
Once a month we publish a newsletter with member exclusive discounts
A Skin Softener
It’s no wonder that manufacturers love to add beeswax to their baby products. When combined with natural ingredients such as coconut oil and other oil ingredients (jojoba oil), this wax acts as a natural “thickening agent” that is both non-toxic and natural.
But, it does more than just that. Here are some other wonderful benefits of beeswax.
- Relieves itching: Apply beeswax to any skin area that has chafing or is dry. It’s anti-allergenic, making it a perfect cream for sensitive skin.
- Vitamin A: Beeswax is loaded with Vitamin A. This vitamin stimulates the skin cells that keep your skin firm and healthy, both on the upper layer and throughout the deep layers of your skin. Beeswax should be an essential ingredient in any cream you use on your baby’s sensitive skin.
- Fragrance: The natural honey aroma is pleasant and non-irritating.
Beeswax is often present in nipple cream for new moms. Sucking and subsequent breast milk around the nipples can create an uncomfortable feeling. Breastfeeding is a time to bond, so a good cream is essential for around mom’s nipples.
Trending Now Must Read
Is Aloe Vera Safe For Baby- The formal name for aloe vera is known as aloe barbadensis plants. The word, Aloe
A child's first steps is a huge milestone.
But, for parents, baby proofing the house is a labor of love.
Natural Remedies For Acid Reflux Babies - Acid reflux in babies is a natural occurrence affecting nearly 50% of infants.
 Centers for Disease Control and Prevention; CDC, Botulism, Prevention, May 8, 2018.
 EWG’s Skin Deep Cosmetic Database; Beeswax.
 California Department of Public Health; Infant Botulism Treatment and Prevention Program, FAQ’s about Infant Botulism.
 Livestrong; Can Beeswax Benefit the Skin?, Glenda Taylor, October 3, 2017.
 Mendoza S, Noa M, Pérez Y, et al. Preventive effect of D-002, a mixture of long-chain alcohols from beeswax, on the liver damage induced with CCl4 in rats. J Med Food. 2007 Jun;10(2):379-83.